Thursday, August 30, 2007

White Ruby Layers

I bought some strawberries with no intention of baking or cooking. I ate a few, only to realise later that I could make a snack with yogurt! In one of her shows, Nigella whipped up glasses of Raspberry Oatmeal Swirls for her breakfast guests.

I decided to try it out! I altered this recipe to fit whatever ingredients I could get hold of. Particularly the part where it called for raspberries and oatmeal biscuits. I substituted it with strawberries and Digestive biscuits instead. As for Greek yogurt, I used our regular low-fat yogurt from supermarkets. Despite the alterations, strawberries and yogurt complement each other well. The crumbs of Digestive biscuit gave some bite to it. This dessert/snack is interesting; sourish with bits of strawberry pieces and yet its sourness is cut down by the biscuit crumbs. My mum didn't like it though. She couldn't stand the smell of yogurt.







It wouldn't be right if I were to name it Raspberry. No raspberry, no Greek yogurt, no oatmeal biscuits in those I made. Perhaps I can call it White Ruby Layers?





White Ruby Layers

(adapted and altered from Nigella Feast: Raspberry Oatmeal Swirls)
250g Strawberries
500g Fat-free yogurt
3 pieces Digestive biscuits
1 tbps Sugar

Same method as stated in Nigella's website.
This is a simplified version of mine. =P
  1. Place biscuits in a plastic bag. Secure bag's opening and smash biscuits to small crumbs. Set aside.
  2. Remove strawberry caps. Cut strawberries into quarters (if they're too large). Place into a blender and add sugar. Pulse it about 3 times, until becomes a puree. Not too much if you want small bits of strawberry pieces.
  3. Place a layer of biscuit crumbs, approx 1 tbsp, into a serving glass.
  4. Top it with 1-2 tbsp yogurt.
  5. Top the yogurt with 1-2 tbsp strawberry puree.
  6. Repeat steps 3-5 until glass is full. Sprinkle with biscuit on the final layer. Serve cold.



No comments: