Saturday, August 11, 2007

Cats' Tongues

Kimiko has gone crazy and ate cats' tongues. She's on a sugar high attack. Yeap. You did not read that wrongly. She ate cats' tongues!


Can I have my tongue back pretty please?

No, sorry Puss. I did not take your tongue away... But you can have some of my cat's tongue cookies!



Okay, that was lame. Cats' tongue cookies are actually a type of French sugar cookies called Langues De Chat (langs du shard). Most probably they called this "cat's tongue" because of its shape. A lovely cookie that goes very well with black coffee, latte and expresso. I tried with milk and it seems nice too. They're very easy to make yet highly addictive, sweet and are chewy in texture. Oh, in the video, I used a star nozzle to pipe since I don't have any plain ones. But it does not matter as the batter will spread out leaving no lines, which they're originally supposed to be. I learned this a few days back and made a small batch again. And while making this, I made a short video too. Hope you all enjoy watching it.





Langues-De-Chat
80g icing sugar
100g butter
3 egg whites
100g plain flour
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp lemon zest

  1. Preheat oven to 200C.
  2. Cream butter and icing sugar until pale. Add vanilla and zest.
  3. Beat in whites, one at a time.
  4. Sift in flour and fold until combined.
  5. Pipe onto lined pans using a plain nozzle, piping each about 2 inches long, 1 inch apart.
  6. Bake until edges turn golden brown, approx 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on wire racks immediately.


ps: I simply could not resist taking another bite!


9 comments:

babyfiona said...

wah! i want the cat's tongue! never try before

Bento Pet said...

I'm going to try this. Looks simple enough. Thank you!

Kimiko said...

babyfiona: try make la. hehehe.... eh, will you be going for the shouters day out on 25th?


bento pet: hope you'll like it =)

geneoga said...

wow, i've been away for quite some time huh? sick and all... take care o.. btw, u've been giving ur pastries and cakes to ur frens.. me leh? :P

I'm waiting... haha..

WokkingMum said...

I just bought an oven and the first thing I wanted to make was this! Only thing now is to find time! :p

WokkingMum said...

Btw, do you know the measurment of egg whites in ml?

Kimiko said...

gin: tupperware leh? =P

wokkingMum: wah, new oven. Cool! Hopefully I'll get a new oven too. hehe... Usually the grade A egg whites are approx 30ml-40ml. The weight largely depends on the eggs themselves. Some are slightly lighter than the rest even though they're of same grade.

The eggs I use in any recipe are grade A ones.

Bell said...

Oh Cool! I LOVE baking! I'll have to try this out as soon as I finish my current biscuits! Haha! Must not have too any biscuits lurking about at any one time :P Tough to choose mah! LoL

question... What do you do with the egg yolks at the end?

Kimiko said...

i understand the indecisions. hehehe... sometimes i would love to do all in one day, but that's impossible to finish in 3 days! lol

that time we had chicken katsu (covered in breadcrumb) for dinner. so none went to waste. =)