Wednesday, June 20, 2007

My first attempt at Sushi



I made sushi in the wee hours of morning for my family again. After making a bento for them, I got quite addicted to making Japanese food lately. Making bento was fun and looking at their expressions doubles up my motivation. This time however, I decided to outdo myself in making a variety of simple sushi. It looks so simple on photos and I had to try! I have never make sushi and futomaki before, not hands on anyway. Using the only knowledge I obtained from tv and books plus watching sushi masters create sushi everytime at Japanese restaurants helps greatly. That was what I thought at first. Until... disaster striked!



I did destroy a few here and there while rolling them up. It was not as easy as it seemed to be. The seaweed tears easily, sticky rice all over, and it doesn't stay put on the mat! It was pretty annoying when I roll it up and much later everything just burst open! The seaweed hates me. I really admire those who are able to roll them up quickly and everything turns out perfectly. I wonder when will I ever be able to make a perfect futomaki. Sigh... Most probably it'll take years for me to master the techniques. It took quite long to create sushi for 3. A lot of accidents happened along the way. Anyhow, it's my first attempt. I'm quite satisfied with the outcome.





10 comments:

maslight said...

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, sushi, me want me want. XD

pisang goreng 115,NF said...

i want unagi.....
is my favorite..........
make 4 me.....

Poonky said...

drolling...did u do bento delivery service? lol i wanna eat bento

De Pianist said...

oooolalala..sushi!you're really good at doing this..haha..next time can try the california roll and see..=p

WokkingMum said...

Nice Futomaki! Your family must be very happy. ;)

FC said...

I LLLLOOOOVE SUSSHHHII!! They looked absolutely delicious!

leonard leao said...

OMG!!! Glorious sushi...and it's ur 1st attempt?? Sushi-sifu...*bow*...hahaha...

Kimiko said...

maslight: sure XD

pisang: unagi hard to grill. (x.X) when I know how, i'll make it. =P

poonky: so far no. Haha.. nice idea. Might think of this soon. =)

pauline: california roll. Hmmm~ Will try will try. Hehe..

wokkingmum: Yap! =) The whole idea was to make them happy. Hehe... My mum was supirsed I made this without messing the whole kitchen. =P

fc: thanks! And I was worried it looked oddly shaped! XD

leonard leao: yes, it's my 1st try. XD Not yet sifu la. Haha... I did destroy a few before managing to make it look slightly better. XD

ipohchai said...

look so sedap
next time teach me how to make sushi la.

Kimiko said...

sure XD