Friday, March 9, 2007

Oatmeal Cookies


I am one person who dislikes oats, be it cooked with milk, topped with fruits or flavoured. I just somehow am unable to swallow that spoon of icky gooey of oats. Okay, it's just me. Not the oats. Don't get the wrong idea that a bowl of congee-like-oats is horrible. I just don't like anything congee textured.

Despite my non-interest in the bowl of oats, I could not resist the temptation brought by the photo in the Australian Women's Weekly Magazine. It was actually an Anzac Cookie. It looked so golden and yummy. When I first saw this, I thought excitedly, "Oh good! Something for mum!". My mum is on a low-sugar, low-GI diet due to health reasons but the tough part for her is... she loves cakes and cookies! It breaks my heart to see her trying extremely hard to resist for another piece of cookie or cake. So... Based on the recipe of the Anzac Cookie, I altered the porportions a little and remove the golden syrup; making a low-sugar and oat based cookie. The cookies turn out pretty well, with a slight hint of sweetness and oaty, chewy on the inside and have a slight crunch on the edges... not at all like congee! Whee~~

Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup dessicated coconut
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1 tbsp boiling water
125g butter

Preheat overn to 150°C. Melt butter over low heat, leave aside. Mix bicarbonate soda with boiling water, and stir this into the melted butter until smooth.
In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Pour in butter mixture into dry ingredients and mix till combined.
Drop approximately 1 tbsp cookie mixture onto lined trays. Leave about 2-3cm of space in between each drop.
Bake 20 minutes. Remove, leave on wire racks to cool.



No comments: