Sunday, January 21, 2007

Nga Ku Chips



Commonly known to Malaysians as 'nga ku' (not sure which Chinese dialect), they are actually tubers of Arrowroot, and are usually found sold in bulks at the wet market before the Chinese New Year festival. I love these when sliced thinly and fried, just like potato chips, but never knew how to actually fry them without getting clumps of salt, wasting my effort and the nga ku. Someone had to teach me, and I finally met my saviour.

I met Wai Loon, his mum and Jin Ching at Tesco recently with a bag worth of 1kg nga ku in his hands. After the usual "Hi", "How are you" and stuffs, my curiousity brought me to ask him. Suprisingly, he knows my problem and it was a dead simple solution! The trick? Simply put the salt into the oil and not sprinkle it over when cooked! Haha... I decided to give it a go with my mum, bought approximately 300g worth and the results? Splendid! No clumps of salt, extremely crispy and perfectly cooked! Just what I've been looking for! Before the chips could be cooled and stored, more than half were already in our stomachs! =P

You might see me again at Tesco... this time, with more than 1kg worth of nga kus. Lols!~ Thanks a lot for teaching me! ^_^

Nga Ku Chips
300g arrowroot tubers
1 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil (for deep frying)

Clean and peel the arrowroot, remove any shoots. Slice the arrowroot thinly, about 1mm thick.
Heat oil in a wok, stir in the salt. Make sure the oil is hot enough before frying. Simply place a clean chopstick into the oil, if tiny bubbles form around the chopstick, it is ready.
Fry the arrowroot slices, little at a time until the center starts to brown. Remove immediately. Drain, cool and store in an airtight container.







2 comments:

ipohchai said...

my favourite la. only get to eat this during CNY...

Mizunaga said...

I stumbled on this blog while looking for pictures of Nga Ku. After reading your post, I finally know why the sign in Giant said "Arrow head"! Thanks for the info.

BTW- I didn't know about putting the salt into the oil instead of after it's cooked. Will try that next time :P